The Friends with Numbers Podcast, Episode 2: "I'm Going To Pass it Over to You, Stats"

NHLnumbers Podcast
November 21 2012 07:40AM

We're back! In this edition of the podcast, we discuss the notion that analytical evaluation these days has taken away the ability to be surprised by the events of a game. Has it changed the way stories are being told? Plus, we look into other ideas such as coaches adapting their style based on the personnel they have in front of them, defensemen requiring a longer time to develop, and some of the lesser talked about components of the Corsi metric.

We would love to hear from you, the listener, for suggestions on future topics of discussion. Rather than us just being in our own little world, we'd like to make this as interactive a show as possible. Feel free to tweet at either  Dimitri  or Cam .

Click Past the Jump to Listen to the Podcast.

Episode 2

Thanks for Listening!

94ba95fab8740ada4d871df564c355cd
A podcast aimed at investigating advanced stats in hockey.
#1 Dawn
November 21 2012, 09:09AM

I'm intrigued by zone entry stats. Perhaps one of the more frustrating aspects of this lockout is the delay of the collection of such stats for teams other than the Flyers. Just curious, is anyone using their unfortunate excess of free time to review last season's games?

#2 Kent Wilson
November 21 2012, 10:11AM

I'll add in my defense that, yes, Im small but I actually played hockey for 8 years. I coached and scouted it for awhile as well.

I didn't play it at the highest levels though.

#3 Dimitri Filipovic
November 21 2012, 11:50AM

@Kent Wilson

You have a lot of heart, though. And that counts for something.

#4 Ben Wendorf
November 21 2012, 12:09PM

Cam, you raised a really good point about the importance of remembering that a.) teams are not wholly committed to fancy stats analysis, and thus b.) they still will keep players on NHL rosters that probably shouldn't be there. I mean, at the macro-data level those players will kind of come out in the wash, but if you're looking at players (and even teams) on a case-by-case basis, it's certainly something to keep in mind.

On the Zone Starts, I was talking with Christopher Boucher about this a couple of days ago, and one thing I thought was worth saying is, if you give players that sheltered time, and either due to luck or less talent you don't get offense from them, you're in trouble. I probably didn't emphasize it enough in the piece, but you guys were right to point out the importance of the Malhotras and Bollands. Personnel seems to drive these things. If you don't think you have either a very good offensive line, or a very good defensive 3rd line (Canucks have the fortune of both), there's not much incentive to have a drastic Zone Start disparity.

#5 Dimitri Filipovic
November 21 2012, 12:11PM

This is the Mike Gillis quote (from an interview on the team1040 back in August) that I referenced on the podcast, about needing to have the personnel to execute such a zone-start driven plan:

"The only way you can do that [controlling the way a player is utilized] is if you have the luxury of having a good team. If you don't have, if you're in a rebuilding stage or something, that might not have the luxury to design those ice times the way you'd want, but here we're fortunate, we have a good team, we can do what we want."