January 17 2013 12:01PM
This new, regular feature on NHLNumbers will share interesting stats-related posts from around the web almost every day.
Welcome. In this space you will be able to find the best analytical hockey writing from around the internet on a close-to-daily basis. Subject matter will include statistical evaluation, financial analysis, contractual issues, and (sometimes) closely-related tangential works. If you have something you would like to submit for a future edition (your writing or that of someone else) feel free to send it to me via Twitter @JoshL1220 or leave a comment.
Jeff Bell of Columbus Biz Insider writes that the Blue Jackets season ticket base is down to an alarmingly low 7,000 people. He spoke with Blue Jackets president Mike Priest, who had this to say:
“Our product has to deliver,” Priest said. “It needs to be competitive and deliver the value commiserative with what you’re asking people to spend with you.”
It's amazing to me that a franchise with one playoff appearance in their history is having trouble attracting fans after dealing away their best player and missing half of a season of games. I think I can speak for many of us when I say that today I am thankful that I don't work for the Blue Jackets sales department. That must be a really depressing place.
A weeks worth of other, hopefully, less depressing links await you.
*Hockey Prospectus rolled out their 2013 season preview posts over the past week. Rob Vollman discussed the top 10 projected points leaders. Ryan Wagman had the projected top ten goal leaders. And, finally, Matthew Coller wrote about their projected top ten goalies.
* Corey Pronman, also of Hockey Prospectus, rolled out his midseason top 50 prospects.
* Patrick D. of Fear The Fin went in depth discussing the power of chance on this years playoff race.
* Several sites have begun speculating about their respective teams signing Wade Redden or Scott Gomez. Fear The Fin asks about Scott Gomez. Silver Seven considers the possibility of a Wade Redden reunion in Ottawa, and Broad Street Hockey wondered if he could be an option for the Flyers. Jonathan Willis asked if the Oilers should look into Redden. Cam Charron put the Gomez and Redden through the Canucks lens.
* Cam has been busy. He also looked into the impact of Ron Wilson on goalies under his supervision. He then made the case for Roberto Luongo as the Canucks #1 goalie this year for Canucks Army.
* Tyler Dellow posted part three in his series investigating whether or not the Oilers are a playoff team. He also attacked the question of whether or not third pairing defensemen develop after age 25 in the wake of the Oilers trading for Mark Fistric.
* At Defending Big D I discussed the possible ways for Glen Gulutzan to use his new players in Dallas, and for WFAA.com I discussed reasons why Jamie Benn might be waiting to sign an extension in Dallas.
The statistical articles are finally coming around! Thank you to those of you who have begun writing to make this that much more entertaining.