If they redid the 2012 Draft, would Nail Yakupov still go first overall?

Jonathan Willis
March 13 2013 08:37AM

The Hockey News just did their annual Future Watch issue, surveying scouts from every NHL team and asking them to rank the best prospects in the game. Is Nail Yakupov still seen as the cream of the 2012 crop?

Yes, he is.

The top-three of Nail Yakupov, Ryan Murray and Alex Galchenyuk remain intact, though Galchenyuk slides ahead of Murray according to the scouts THN talked to. The magazine’s stated criteria for Future Watch is to rank players by who will be the best NHL’er in five to 10 years; despite Yakupov’s struggles adjusting to the NHL he’s seen as the guy who will ultimately emerge as the best of the lot.

Other big moves:

Defenceman Slater Koekkoek, the 10th overall pick by Tampa Bay after a brilliant but injury-shortened 2011-12 campaign, received no votes in Future Watch. Thus far this season, Koekoek has 29 points in 42 games and a minus-24 rating. Fellow blueliner Cody Ceci, who went 15th overall to Ottawa, also missed out – he has 62 points in 67 games and a minus-10 rating.

Seventh overall pick Matt Dumba – who briefly contended for the top consensus ranking on the blueline early in the 2011-12 season – saw his stock fall too; if the scouts THN talked to redid the draft today, he’d fall to 17th. Derek Pouliot (8th overall) and Griffin Reinhart (4th overall) saw smaller drops, each falling seven spots in the new rankings.

Jacob Trouba and Mikhail Grigorenko both made big strides, with Trouba rising from ninth overall to fourth in these rankings, and Grigorenko rising from 12th to sixth despite unimpressive stats in Buffalo.

The biggest jump came for Russian star Andrei Vasilevski, who has excelled in consecutive World Juniors (and is playing lights-out in Russia). He jumped from 19th overall on draft day to 10th overall in these rankings. Eight spot jumps were made by forwards Scott Laughton and Stefan Matteau, defenceman Olli Maatta, and goaltenders Malcolm Subban and Oscar Dansk.

Recently around the Nation Network

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#1 106 and 106
March 13 2013, 08:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props

That was the best fist pick, fo' sho.

Avatar
#2 Todd
March 13 2013, 09:23AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props

Waiting for DSF to chime in and proclaim he is smarter than all the NHL scouts because he says Yak is a bust.

"Peter Mueller is a better hockey player than Yakupov" (per DSF) HAHAhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... still laughing about that one. Haha ha.

Avatar
#3 Old Retired Guy
March 13 2013, 10:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props
DSF wrote:

In other words...you have no evidence..

I know its shiny and looks tasty......but.....DONT BITE KURT! :)

Avatar
#4 Old Retired Guy
March 13 2013, 09:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props
Spydyr wrote:

Alex Galchenyuk would have been a better fit for the team. Yak will be a scoring machine down the road in my opinion. With only 25 games in it is impossible to tell who the better player will be. Try this again in five years.

So Spydyr, your on the record for drafting by positional need and not BPA. Yes?

Also, the draft is, to a significant degree, a game of "probability". If your a GM and your given a choice in horse race between the odds on favorite at 2 to 1, the second ranked horse at 5 to 1, and the third ranked horse at 8 to 1, with your job on the line, it's almost impossible to not take the horse ranked at 2 to 1. In this case YAK.

Avatar
#5 Todd
March 13 2013, 10:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props
DSF wrote:

Perhaps you have some evidence that Yakupov is currently a better hockey player than Mueller.

Mueller 6G 6A 12P -3

Yakupov 6G 7A 13P -11.

Mueller plays for a team that currently has a goal differential of -37.

Yakupov plays for a team that has a goal differential of -12.

While it's likely Yakupov will improve with age and experience, a lot of things can go wrong on the way to Grandma's house....just ask Mueller about concussions....can happen to anyone.

I await your evidence.

I hate to even engage you, since its impossible to debate someone irrational....

30 games into his rookie career Stamkos had 3g, 7a. So according to your logic Peter Mueller is also a better hockey player than Steven Stamkos.

Its asinine.... Lets talk about Yak in a few years, its just pure a$$ talk now. Dumb.

Avatar
#6 Todd
March 13 2013, 09:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Justin wrote:

Yeah sports illustrated picked Oilers #3 overall in the league.

It was a power ranking, which gets updated every week. It was a speculation based on the fact that the team had lots of their players active during the lockout. We started 4-2-1 so it wasn't too far off.

In case you don't understand how power rankings work, they get updated weekly and teams can quickly move up/down 10-20 spots. Nobody ever said they'd finish 3rd.

Avatar
#7 Old Retired Guy
March 13 2013, 10:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Ales Hallsky wrote:

Maybe DSF is Wanye??? More posts more money!!!

lol....a lot people have had that same thought!

Avatar
#8 Kurt
March 13 2013, 10:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
DSF wrote:

Perhaps you have some evidence that Yakupov is currently a better hockey player than Mueller.

Mueller 6G 6A 12P -3

Yakupov 6G 7A 13P -11.

Mueller plays for a team that currently has a goal differential of -37.

Yakupov plays for a team that has a goal differential of -12.

While it's likely Yakupov will improve with age and experience, a lot of things can go wrong on the way to Grandma's house....just ask Mueller about concussions....can happen to anyone.

I await your evidence.

Hahahaaaaaaaaa. You have to be joking, so I'm not going to waste my time responding.

I also have wondered if DSF is some alter ego Wanye trying to stir up traffic for Oilers Nation. Thats way more logical than trying to think he could actually believe 80% of the things he says.

Avatar
#9 Old Retired Guy
March 13 2013, 10:28AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Old Retired Guy wrote:

he's good! :)

You might try casting out a little further, or dragging your jig across the bottom...

Avatar
#10 Old Retired Guy
March 13 2013, 10:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Todd wrote:

I hate to even engage you, since its impossible to debate someone irrational....

30 games into his rookie career Stamkos had 3g, 7a. So according to your logic Peter Mueller is also a better hockey player than Steven Stamkos.

Its asinine.... Lets talk about Yak in a few years, its just pure a$$ talk now. Dumb.

He landed a Todd. (I hear they can be pretty tasty when you dip them in flour and fry them in butter.) :)

Avatar
#11 Romulus' Apotheosis
March 13 2013, 11:00AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Most of the shuffling on that list seems to be with the D. That seems obvious.

The least straight line in development is D (other than G which is rarely up for first round chat for that very reason).

Last year, people got a little ahead of themselves chasing Griffin and Co. It was a big year for D at the draft and it looks like just as big as mistake now as it did then.

The point being... who the eff knows where these D are going to end up in 5-6 years!

Avatar
#12 Romulus' Apotheosis
March 13 2013, 12:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Jprime wrote:

Is DSF...mchockey79?

that may be the biggest mismatch/misidentification of all time.

Avatar
#13 OilClog
March 13 2013, 12:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

So Yakupov currently has 1 more point the Mueller...

So statistically speaking, since they're both scoring forwards.. and Yakupov in his first season already has 1 more point, then Mueller the I am not a rookie.. That would make him better.. correct.. because he has more points.. in a league where scoring is the most important part.. Hmmm.

How friggin good are both of these guys compared to that Granlund kid??? WOW!

Avatar
#14 Shredder
March 13 2013, 05:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Has this site really come down to a debate about Yakupov versus Mueller? Really?

And I thought the Gagner rumors were bad...

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Seems kinda pointless to go over a draft after 25 games. I hope people didn't have to pay for that and it was just a freebie online at THN.

Avatar
#16 Spydyr
March 13 2013, 09:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Alex Galchenyuk would have been a better fit for the team. Yak will be a scoring machine down the road in my opinion. With only 25 games in it is impossible to tell who the better player will be. Try this again in five years.

Avatar
#17 Old Retired Guy
March 13 2013, 09:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Thanks for the update JW. Helps to keep things in perspective amidst a sea of varying opinions.

Really Nice to see Yak remains the consensus #1. Especially with Alex Galchenyuk playing well getting so much good ( and by good, I mean Eastern) press of late.

Also nice to see that your and Gregors past assessments about Dmen being a crap shoot / hit and miss proposition in the top half of the first round (or perhaps the entire first round)actually being born out by the drop of so many Dmen in the rankings.

With the exception of Jacob Trouba who, if I'm rememering correctly, looked outstanding in the World Juniors for the USA. One or two Dman climb the ranks while 5 or 6 fall dramatically.

Avatar
#18 remlap
March 13 2013, 09:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Todd wrote:

Waiting for DSF to chime in and proclaim he is smarter than all the NHL scouts because he says Yak is a bust.

"Peter Mueller is a better hockey player than Yakupov" (per DSF) HAHAhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... still laughing about that one. Haha ha.

Wait. He actually compared Mueller to Yakupov?

I don't even.....

Avatar
#19 Justin
March 13 2013, 09:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Yeah sports illustrated picked Oilers #3 overall in the league.

Avatar
#20 Todd
March 13 2013, 09:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
remlap wrote:

Wait. He actually compared Mueller to Yakupov?

I don't even.....

DSF was babbling incoherently about how awesome Peter Mueller is and how the Oilers need him. Someone asked if we should offer Yakupov for Mueller (ridiculous I know). DSFs exact response:

"No, I wouldn't make that trade because of the injury situation but Yakupov is NOT a better hockey player."

HAaaaaaaaaaaababhahahaaa

Avatar
#21 John Chambers
March 13 2013, 09:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

There are some nice C's that will be available between 4 and 7 in this upcoming draft.

I'm hoping the Oil play well enough to miss out on Barkov, but Monaghan or the Swede would be nice additions, especially if Gagner plays himself out of the Oilers budget.

Yak's snipes will soon make a superstar out if any cente he plays will.

Avatar
#22 Todd
March 13 2013, 09:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Justin wrote:

Yeah sports illustrated picked Oilers #3 overall in the league.

Here is the latest from SI (Adrian Dater does these).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/news/20130312/nhl-power-rankings-blackhawks-lose-still-number-one/

Oilers ranked 26th now.

Avatar
#23 Old Retired Guy
March 13 2013, 09:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Todd wrote:

DSF was babbling incoherently about how awesome Peter Mueller is and how the Oilers need him. Someone asked if we should offer Yakupov for Mueller (ridiculous I know). DSFs exact response:

"No, I wouldn't make that trade because of the injury situation but Yakupov is NOT a better hockey player."

HAaaaaaaaaaaababhahahaaa

DSF was baiting people just for “sh*ts and giggles” and you’d be amazed at how many people bit.

I challenged him to come up with a scenario where he trades Taylor Hall for David Steckle just to see how many people would bite.

It was entertaining, in a sickly DSF kind of way.

Avatar
#24 Ales Hallsky
March 13 2013, 10:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Old Retired Guy

Maybe DSF is Wanye??? More posts more money!!!

Avatar
#25 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
March 13 2013, 10:05AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Todd wrote:

Here is the latest from SI (Adrian Dater does these).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/news/20130312/nhl-power-rankings-blackhawks-lose-still-number-one/

Oilers ranked 26th now.

I'd so take that in a heartbeat. 26th and win the lotto again. Still plenty of holes in this lineup.

Drouin, moving Hall to center along with bringing in a top pairing blueliner, would go along way to setting this train headed in the right direction.

Avatar
#26 DSF
March 13 2013, 10:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Todd wrote:

DSF was babbling incoherently about how awesome Peter Mueller is and how the Oilers need him. Someone asked if we should offer Yakupov for Mueller (ridiculous I know). DSFs exact response:

"No, I wouldn't make that trade because of the injury situation but Yakupov is NOT a better hockey player."

HAaaaaaaaaaaababhahahaaa

Perhaps you have some evidence that Yakupov is currently a better hockey player than Mueller.

Mueller 6G 6A 12P -3

Yakupov 6G 7A 13P -11.

Mueller plays for a team that currently has a goal differential of -37.

Yakupov plays for a team that has a goal differential of -12.

While it's likely Yakupov will improve with age and experience, a lot of things can go wrong on the way to Grandma's house....just ask Mueller about concussions....can happen to anyone.

I await your evidence.

Avatar
#27 Wendy01
March 13 2013, 10:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Subban jumped up in rankings? Huh. Surprising as I didn't find him to be an asset to Canada at the WJHC. I understand that he is a young player, but so were all the other kids, so in comparison.....

Avatar
#28 Old Retired Guy
March 13 2013, 10:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
John Chambers wrote:

There are some nice C's that will be available between 4 and 7 in this upcoming draft.

I'm hoping the Oil play well enough to miss out on Barkov, but Monaghan or the Swede would be nice additions, especially if Gagner plays himself out of the Oilers budget.

Yak's snipes will soon make a superstar out if any cente he plays will.

Nice C’s indeed.

If the Oilers tank the rest of the way they get a McKinnon, or Barkov, or Monaghan.

If they compete hard but miss the playoffs, they get a Lindholm or a Wennberg

If they squeek into the playoffs they a get a Gauthier or a Lazar.

Pretty impressive.

Avatar
#29 Old Retired Guy
March 13 2013, 10:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Old Retired Guy wrote:

Nice C’s indeed.

If the Oilers tank the rest of the way they get a McKinnon, or Barkov, or Monaghan.

If they compete hard but miss the playoffs, they get a Lindholm or a Wennberg

If they squeek into the playoffs they a get a Gauthier or a Lazar.

Pretty impressive.

Which has me wondering.....

Putting all of the HATE the Management rhetoric aside for a minute....

Wouldn't it make sense that, when drafting, professional sports teams look ahead at future drafts?

It seems highly probable to me that, at the 2012 draft, the Oilers may have looked forward to this years draft with all these Centers coming available, and that it might have partially influenced the choice/abiltiy to take a winger like YAK. (and wait until 2013 to pick up the much needed center).

Avatar
#30 DSF
March 13 2013, 10:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Old Retired Guy wrote:

Which has me wondering.....

Putting all of the HATE the Management rhetoric aside for a minute....

Wouldn't it make sense that, when drafting, professional sports teams look ahead at future drafts?

It seems highly probable to me that, at the 2012 draft, the Oilers may have looked forward to this years draft with all these Centers coming available, and that it might have partially influenced the choice/abiltiy to take a winger like YAK. (and wait until 2013 to pick up the much needed center).

If a team adopted that strategy it would run the risk of not being able to afford to pay the young stars that cam before as their ELC's expired,

That's exactly what's going to happen to the Oilers.

Avatar
#31 DSF
March 13 2013, 10:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Kurt wrote:

Hahahaaaaaaaaa. You have to be joking, so I'm not going to waste my time responding.

I also have wondered if DSF is some alter ego Wanye trying to stir up traffic for Oilers Nation. Thats way more logical than trying to think he could actually believe 80% of the things he says.

In other words...you have no evidence..

Avatar
#32 Will
March 13 2013, 10:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

It's nice to see that Gal is panning out. That was actually a pretty substantial risk in that the kid came off a non season with injury. That he went third overall and is in the conversation for who would have been the better first overall is very impressive.

However, Gal is also getting a lot of prime minutes, whereas Yak from the get go has not been put out in all situations due to his defensive misplays. Which would suggest Gal was the better pick, but I don't see that in the long term. And everyone says Gal was the better fit, but when / if Hemsky ever leaves, there's a big hole to fill on our second line right wing. Plus, it's very likely we get that big centre with skill at the draft this year, even if we make the playoffs.

Finally, if Magnus of late is any indication, the thing the Oilers might just need, is some patience from the fans. If Lander and Harti can keep developing, this team looks good for a good long time.

Avatar
#33 Old Retired Guy
March 13 2013, 10:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
DSF wrote:

In other words...you have no evidence..

he's good! :)

Avatar
#34 OilersBrass
March 13 2013, 10:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Old Retired Guy wrote:

Thanks for the update JW. Helps to keep things in perspective amidst a sea of varying opinions.

Really Nice to see Yak remains the consensus #1. Especially with Alex Galchenyuk playing well getting so much good ( and by good, I mean Eastern) press of late.

Also nice to see that your and Gregors past assessments about Dmen being a crap shoot / hit and miss proposition in the top half of the first round (or perhaps the entire first round)actually being born out by the drop of so many Dmen in the rankings.

With the exception of Jacob Trouba who, if I'm rememering correctly, looked outstanding in the World Juniors for the USA. One or two Dman climb the ranks while 5 or 6 fall dramatically.

Every kid listed in this article are all amazing players and will all play in the NHL. They were JUST drafted less than a year ago, and most of them are still playing in juniors.

The thing about these kids when they go back to the juniors, is they don't try as hard or kill themselves trying to stay highly ranked because they've already been drafted. There are also younger kids on the their teams going in to their draft years, and thats when these kids that are already drafted take a step back to let the other kids shine.

It's pointless now to look back and say that other kids would have dropped in the draft. I guarantee if all these kids still played in juniors and tried their hardest Yak might not be number one.

Avatar
#35 DSF
March 13 2013, 10:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Todd wrote:

I hate to even engage you, since its impossible to debate someone irrational....

30 games into his rookie career Stamkos had 3g, 7a. So according to your logic Peter Mueller is also a better hockey player than Steven Stamkos.

Its asinine.... Lets talk about Yak in a few years, its just pure a$$ talk now. Dumb.

Rookie season:

Peter Mueller - 22G 32A 54P -13

Steven Stamkos - 23G 23A 46P -13

Nail Yakupov - 19G 20A 39P -35 (82 game projection) Notice anything?

Avatar
#36 Old Retired Guy
March 13 2013, 10:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
DSF wrote:

If a team adopted that strategy it would run the risk of not being able to afford to pay the young stars that cam before as their ELC's expired,

That's exactly what's going to happen to the Oilers.

I get your logic. But wouldn't you just be forced to trade one or two of these young stars along the way....which gives you the ability to do three things...

1) Keep the guys that fill the roles you need filled and, 2) A year or to down the road ( when your ready to contend) Trade one of the young stars for a proven NHL'er again in a position/role that you need filled or, 3)Trade one of the young stars for a bottom six role player and restock the cupboard with furture draft picks

Avatar
#37 Spydyr
March 13 2013, 10:44AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Old Retired Guy wrote:

So Spydyr, your on the record for drafting by positional need and not BPA. Yes?

Also, the draft is, to a significant degree, a game of "probability". If your a GM and your given a choice in horse race between the odds on favorite at 2 to 1, the second ranked horse at 5 to 1, and the third ranked horse at 8 to 1, with your job on the line, it's almost impossible to not take the horse ranked at 2 to 1. In this case YAK.

@Old Retired Guy

Not sure where you pulled I'm against drafting the BPA from my comment.

I just said Galchenyuk would have been a better fit for the team. Then mentioned Yak should be a scoring machine and too check back in five years to see who is the best player .

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Avatar
#38 Old Retired Guy
March 13 2013, 10:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@OilersBrass

@ #30 Logan83

"Every kid listed in this article are all amazing players and will all play in the NHL. They were JUST drafted less than a year ago, and most of them are still playing in juniors."

I get your point that its too early to make rash decisions regarding the future of any of these kids....that is TRUE.

But the idea that Every kid listed there will make it in the NHL is NOT TRUE....the statistics dont bear that out.

Avatar
#39 Old Retired Guy
March 13 2013, 10:51AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
0
props
Spydyr wrote:

@Old Retired Guy

Not sure where you pulled I'm against drafting the BPA from my comment.

I just said Galchenyuk would have been a better fit for the team. Then mentioned Yak should be a scoring machine and too check back in five years to see who is the best player .

Please don't put words in my mouth.

I'm not putting words in your mouth.

You said "would have been" a better fit....

I read that to mean, past tense (as in at the draft)

I see now that you meant, in hind sight.

Just trying to clarify your stance on BPA.

Avatar
#40 DSF
March 13 2013, 10:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Old Retired Guy wrote:

I get your logic. But wouldn't you just be forced to trade one or two of these young stars along the way....which gives you the ability to do three things...

1) Keep the guys that fill the roles you need filled and, 2) A year or to down the road ( when your ready to contend) Trade one of the young stars for a proven NHL'er again in a position/role that you need filled or, 3)Trade one of the young stars for a bottom six role player and restock the cupboard with furture draft picks

That's a perpetual rebuild strategy.

Look at the way Lombardi did things in LA.

Stockpiled G.

Stockpiled D.

Stockpiled C.

As soon as there were enough assets in the system, he started dealing veterans for younger players who would fit in his win window (see Visnovsky for Green and Stoll) and then used his excess D and C assets to being in what he needed.

The Oilers have no depth at G, D, or C.

They have a bunch of young scoring wingers that can be very difficult to move for top pairing D or top 6 C.

Avatar
#41 Old Retired Guy
March 13 2013, 11:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
DSF wrote:

That's a perpetual rebuild strategy.

Look at the way Lombardi did things in LA.

Stockpiled G.

Stockpiled D.

Stockpiled C.

As soon as there were enough assets in the system, he started dealing veterans for younger players who would fit in his win window (see Visnovsky for Green and Stoll) and then used his excess D and C assets to being in what he needed.

The Oilers have no depth at G, D, or C.

They have a bunch of young scoring wingers that can be very difficult to move for top pairing D or top 6 C.

I don't see the perpetual rebuild at all.

I see perpetual change. Which is actually a strategy to AVOID perpetual rebuild.

I also don't see why postion matters that much. The point is building talented depth at ANY position. YAK or Ebrle WILL bring back a talented D, or G or C if thats what's needed.

So YES to the Lombardi history/strategy....NO to the fact the it about D,G,C.....it's about an excess of talent at any postion that will allow you to trade for specific assets that fit your bill come contention time...or that enable to retock along the way so as to avoid a cycle of boom and bust.

Avatar
#42 Dipstick
March 13 2013, 11:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Most of the shuffling on that list seems to be with the D. That seems obvious.

The least straight line in development is D (other than G which is rarely up for first round chat for that very reason).

Last year, people got a little ahead of themselves chasing Griffin and Co. It was a big year for D at the draft and it looks like just as big as mistake now as it did then.

The point being... who the eff knows where these D are going to end up in 5-6 years!

Good point. It further reinforces the theory of avoiding D early in the draft. Probably better to let others risk it and sign the elite ones once they are UFA and at their prime.

Avatar
#43 Old Retired Guy
March 13 2013, 11:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Old Retired Guy wrote:

Nice C’s indeed.

If the Oilers tank the rest of the way they get a McKinnon, or Barkov, or Monaghan.

If they compete hard but miss the playoffs, they get a Lindholm or a Wennberg

If they squeek into the playoffs they a get a Gauthier or a Lazar.

Pretty impressive.

No....I'm not vain....replying to my own quote.....

Just find this thought so uplifting in a time when the team is underperforming....

Avatar
#44 oilerman53
March 13 2013, 11:23AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Yakupov has a shot and one timer in the mould of Brett Hull. He has speed and hands of Bure. Who the hell is Meuller?

Avatar
#45 OilersBrass
March 13 2013, 11:23AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Old Retired Guy wrote:

@ #30 Logan83

"Every kid listed in this article are all amazing players and will all play in the NHL. They were JUST drafted less than a year ago, and most of them are still playing in juniors."

I get your point that its too early to make rash decisions regarding the future of any of these kids....that is TRUE.

But the idea that Every kid listed there will make it in the NHL is NOT TRUE....the statistics dont bear that out.

I just explained why their statistics are lower than their draft year, and being a good hockey player isn't just about putting up goals and assists.

Every kid in this article will play in the NHL, and i'm betting all the people in this forum who know anything about hockey will agree with me. Heck half of them already are in the NHL and the other half got called up to training camp and almost made their teams.

Avatar
#46 OilersBrass
March 13 2013, 11:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Old retired guy must be a professional troll :)

Avatar
#47 DSF
March 13 2013, 11:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Old Retired Guy wrote:

I don't see the perpetual rebuild at all.

I see perpetual change. Which is actually a strategy to AVOID perpetual rebuild.

I also don't see why postion matters that much. The point is building talented depth at ANY position. YAK or Ebrle WILL bring back a talented D, or G or C if thats what's needed.

So YES to the Lombardi history/strategy....NO to the fact the it about D,G,C.....it's about an excess of talent at any postion that will allow you to trade for specific assets that fit your bill come contention time...or that enable to retock along the way so as to avoid a cycle of boom and bust.

C and D have much more value than W, all else being equal.

For example, which top pairing D or top line C do you think you get in return for Eberle right now?

Avatar
#48 Spydyr
March 13 2013, 11:36AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Old Retired Guy wrote:

I'm not putting words in your mouth.

You said "would have been" a better fit....

I read that to mean, past tense (as in at the draft)

I see now that you meant, in hind sight.

Just trying to clarify your stance on BPA.

OK cool for me it is always BPA. Even if you have to trade the player later to fill a need. Something the Oilers should consider doing. No, I'm not saying trade Yak but the team needs to trade what they have an abundance of for what they have a shortfall of. That is a rebuild not just drafting a number one every year till the team is stacked with skilled players.Heart is required to win.

Avatar
#49 GXL
March 13 2013, 11:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

The one thing that I noticed with Yakupov is his improved "away from the puck" play. After being schooled by Jagr in the OT loss, he's really improved. He was absolutely terrible at the start of the season. But on that play you realize just how lost he was. He was yelling and looking behind him to see the dman behind him, and in that split second Jagr pulled out and scored the OT winner... pwn'd by one of his idols.

What I've noticed in the last 4-5 games is Yakupov's defensive play and hustle. He makes at least one really good defensive play in each of those games.

@DSF: How's Granlund doing? Can't hack playing in the big leagues yet eh? Maybe you can ask your mom to make him a peanut butter sandwich just like the one she made you before tucking you to bed.

GXL

Avatar
#50 John Chambers
March 13 2013, 11:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@DSF

Eberle could be traded for:

One of Staal, Del Zotto, or MxDonagh along with maybe a Kreider (big winger) if the Oil sweetened the deal.

A combination of Justin Faulk along with Jiri Tlusty (big winger)

Roman Josi and maybe Jon Blum, although the latter is more a 4-5 guy

Karl Alzner +

Eric Gudbrandson and Kris Versteeg

Straight up for Cam Fowler, Tobias Enstrom, or Dan Boyle.

Eberle has significant trade value.

Comments are closed for this article.