Why it seems unlikely that the Nashville Predators would trade Shea Weber

Jonathan Willis
May 01 2013 08:55AM

It’s (an understandable) dream of Oilers fans to see Shea Weber traded to Edmonton. Not only is he from Western Canada, big, strong and capable, but he’d fill the #1 defenceman hole that Edmonton has had since Chris Pronger left town.

Those dreams seem destined to go unfulfilled.

Get Used To Disappointment

Why would Nashville trade one of the league’s precious few franchise defenders? The answer always seems to be “they’re a small market club and they can’t afford him.” By their actions, though, it seems clear that the Predators have decided they can’t afford not to pay him.

The Economics of a Trade

Shea Weber signed his current contract – via a Philadelphia Flyers offer sheet – on July 19, 2012, forcing the Predators to either match and hang on to Weber for at least a year, or decline to match and accept four first-round picks in exchange for Weber’s services. The Flyers made it as difficult as possible for Nashville by structuring the contract to be extremely front-loaded.

No NHL player made more money in 2012-13 than Weber. More than that, Weber’s contract is structured to be heavily bonus-intensive – featuring a $1 million base salary and a $13 million signing bonus for each of the first four years. The signing bonuses mean that by the time Weber could be traded by the Predators, they will have paid $27 million of the $110 million on his contract – just slightly under one-quarter of his total contract in the first year.

Facing a $110 million decision, one has to think the Predators weighed the cost. None of these ramifications were unknown at the time; the Predators knew what they were getting into matching that offer sheet. If it made sense to sign him then, it’s hard to imagine they’re going to change their mind and move him after having already taken the worst lumps.

Certainly that’s the message general manager David Poile has always emphasized – asked about the possibility of a trade by CBC’s Elliotte Friedman in April, he made no secret as to his view:

We have a franchise goaltender and the best defenceman in the NHL ... We are building our team around them.

Ultimately, it comes down to this: either the Predators made a terrible mistake, Poile’s being disingenuous, and the team plans to try and get a better return than four first round picks after spending $27 million for 48 games or they really have no plans to trade Weber. The latter seems more likely to be reality than the former. None of that means the Oilers shouldn't ask, but it does mean not much is likely to come of it. 

Recently around the Nation Network

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#101 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
May 01 2013, 06:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Wax Man Riley

Let me walk you through this...

A) Would it ever be possible the Predators may find themselves in a position that they need to move Weber.....Yes

B) Would it ever be possible Weber goes to Poile and asks to be moved....Yes

C) Do the requirements/direction of an NHL team change on a year to year basis.....Yes

D) Does Shea Weber have a NMC.....No.

Shut the Muck up, all of you!

Avatar
#102 DSF
May 01 2013, 06:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

Let me walk you through this...

A) Would it ever be possible the Predators may find themselves in a position that they need to move Weber.....Yes

B) Would it ever be possible Weber goes to Poile and asks to be moved....Yes

C) Do the requirements/direction of an NHL team change on a year to year basis.....Yes

D) Does Shea Weber have a NMC.....No.

Shut the Muck up, all of you!

Can the Oilers afford Weber's cap hit and pay the kids?

No.

Avatar
#103 Spydyr
May 01 2013, 06:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

Let me walk you through this...

A) Would it ever be possible the Predators may find themselves in a position that they need to move Weber.....Yes

B) Would it ever be possible Weber goes to Poile and asks to be moved....Yes

C) Do the requirements/direction of an NHL team change on a year to year basis.....Yes

D) Does Shea Weber have a NMC.....No.

Shut the Muck up, all of you!

A) Would it ever be possible the Predators may find themselves in a position that they need to move Weber.....Yes

There would only be 28 other teams offers to beat.

B) Would it ever be possible Weber goes to Poile and asks to be moved....Yes

There would only be 28 other teams offers to beat.

C) Do the requirements/direction of an NHL team change on a year to year basis.....Yes

Well duh

D) Does Shea Weber have a NMC.....No.

There would only be 28 other teams offers to beat.

It would cost one or more of the kids.For a albatross contract on a player that most likely would not want to be here.

Avatar
#104 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
May 01 2013, 06:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
DSF wrote:

Can the Oilers afford Weber's cap hit and pay the kids?

No.

How about with Horcoff, Eberle and Gagner out of the picture.

Horc gets bought out. That would move things around a little. I know it's highly unlikely he comes to our laughing stock franchise, but I do believe he gets moved sooner rather than later.

Avatar
#105 Wax Man Riley
May 01 2013, 06:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Next up, is Connor McJesus.

Where is Wes? I'm surprised he isn't here stating his case too.

Oilers need Crosby and Malkin. Some bigger, stronger centers. If they don't get Crosby, Malkin, or both then the Oilers are settling for failure.

I'm starting a campaign. Crosby and Malkin or bust!

Avatar
#106 Wax Man Riley
May 01 2013, 06:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

How about with Horcoff, Eberle and Gagner out of the picture.

Horc gets bought out. That would move things around a little. I know it's highly unlikely he comes to our laughing stock franchise, but I do believe he gets moved sooner rather than later.

It's going to be tough to pay Crosby, Malkin, and Weber. But if we trade Horc, Eberle, Gagner, and Dubnyk, I think we can fit them.

Avatar
#107 Spydyr
May 01 2013, 06:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Wax Man Riley wrote:

Where is Wes? I'm surprised he isn't here stating his case too.

Oilers need Crosby and Malkin. Some bigger, stronger centers. If they don't get Crosby, Malkin, or both then the Oilers are settling for failure.

I'm starting a campaign. Crosby and Malkin or bust!

Not unless we get Letang as a throw in.

Avatar
#108 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
May 01 2013, 06:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Spydyr

Welcome to the dark side Spyder.

A contract is just a piece of paper. It all goes out the window when a player is unhappy about something.

Who's to say Poile doesn't covet what the Oilers have to offer? Screw the other 28 teams, we only care about 1.

In the immortal words of John Candy....Dose Leafs getting blowd up real good.

Avatar
#109 Wax Man Riley
May 01 2013, 06:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

How about with Horcoff, Eberle and Gagner out of the picture.

Horc gets bought out. That would move things around a little. I know it's highly unlikely he comes to our laughing stock franchise, but I do believe he gets moved sooner rather than later.

And that leaves RNH, Smyth, Lander, and Arcobello down the middle?

That is a winning 'C' lineup if I ever seen one.

Avatar
#110 Spydyr
May 01 2013, 06:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

Welcome to the dark side Spyder.

A contract is just a piece of paper. It all goes out the window when a player is unhappy about something.

Who's to say Poile doesn't covet what the Oilers have to offer? Screw the other 28 teams, we only care about 1.

In the immortal words of John Candy....Dose Leafs getting blowd up real good.

Poile might care what the other 28 teams have to offer and to get Weber you would have to beat all other 28 teams.Talk about an over pay.

Avatar
#111 Wax Man Riley
May 01 2013, 06:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Wax Man Riley wrote:

And that leaves RNH, Smyth, Lander, and Arcobello down the middle?

That is a winning 'C' lineup if I ever seen one.

And Belanger, dummy! ↑

Can't win without Belanger

Avatar
#112 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
May 01 2013, 06:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Wax Man Riley wrote:

Where is Wes? I'm surprised he isn't here stating his case too.

Oilers need Crosby and Malkin. Some bigger, stronger centers. If they don't get Crosby, Malkin, or both then the Oilers are settling for failure.

I'm starting a campaign. Crosby and Malkin or bust!

Whatever floats your boat dude. I think my idea of just Weber is easier obtained than your Crosby and Malkin. Hey if you're serious, your audience here is waiting for you to impress us.

Avatar
#113 Wax Man Riley
May 01 2013, 06:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Spydyr

Crosby, Malkin, Letang for:

Horcoff, Gagner, Eberle, Hemsky and Omark if we have to sweeten the deal

Then we trade Letang and Petry for Weber, and throw in Arcobello if we have to sweeten it.

Unstoppable!!!

Avatar
#114 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
May 01 2013, 06:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Spydyr wrote:

Poile might care what the other 28 teams have to offer and to get Weber you would have to beat all other 28 teams.Talk about an over pay.

How much is Weber worth if his demand to be traded goes public like Pronger. A tad less I have to believe.

Avatar
#115 Spydyr
May 01 2013, 06:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Wax Man Riley wrote:

Crosby, Malkin, Letang for:

Horcoff, Gagner, Eberle, Hemsky and Omark if we have to sweeten the deal

Then we trade Letang and Petry for Weber, and throw in Arcobello if we have to sweeten it.

Unstoppable!!!

I'm sure Shero can't wait to jump on that.

Avatar
#116 Wax Man Riley
May 01 2013, 06:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

Whatever floats your boat dude. I think my idea of just Weber is easier obtained than your Crosby and Malkin. Hey if you're serious, your audience here is waiting for you to impress us.

I would like to see Weber in Orange and Blue, but I just don't see it as realistic. Not even close. Trading Weber is akin to trading Crosby, or Hall.

If it happens, Quicks, I would like to take you out to The Pint, Wes too, and those tower beers are on me all night long. Wings too! And I'll also get us all cabs home. I will also apologize.

Actually I really hope MacT gets Weber here now. You, me, Wes, a bunch of beer and wings for the Season opener sounds like a good time. DSF can come too.... although he gets his own cab home.

Avatar
#117 Wax Man Riley
May 01 2013, 06:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Spydyr wrote:

I'm sure Shero can't wait to jump on that.

un-------STOPPABLE!!!!!

Avatar
#118 Spydyr
May 01 2013, 06:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Wax Man Riley wrote:

un-------STOPPABLE!!!!!

Wait we need a goalie.

How about Dubbie , Smid and next years second for Quick and Doughty.

Stanley here we come.

Avatar
#119 Eddie Shore
May 01 2013, 06:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do when ownership needs/wants to cut costs.

It would get the Preds off the hook for the other 84 million over the balance of that contract. Nothing screams, we're in it to win it like being 12 mill under the cap every year for the last 5 yrs. Darn right I believed the Preds may want to get out from under that deal. With no playoff home dates for the foreseeable future, they could easily change their direction. It's a safe bet Weber doesn't want to be a part of another 5 yrs outside of the playoffs. The Preds moving Weber out of need, or Weber wanting the Preds to move him, either way, it's just a matter of time. When Gretzky signed his deal to remain an Oiler till 1999, we all thought he'd be an Oiler forever as well.

84 million is a couple dollars more than 26 million there Mikey.

I have a hard time picturing the owner writing a cheque July 1 for $13M and then OK'ing a trade moving him 3 weeks later. If I were the owner, I'd want my GM to move heaven and earth to bring other players in that will make Nanville competitive WITH Weber if I'm shelling out that type of coin.

Avatar
#120 Rama Lama
May 01 2013, 06:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Whichever team trades for Webber will eventually regret this decision........just how many times do we have to watch this movie?

It seems that whenever a big name signs for a trillion bucks somewhere, their play goes south and the team is now saddled with an untradeable asset. Ask NYR how all their superstars are working out for them?

I would much rather grow our players instead of overpaying for them on the UFA and trade front. Trading for Webber would cost this franchise in so many ways for so long.......right now Souray looks as good a player as Webber. We may already have a mini-WEbber in Klefblom?

Avatar
#121 DSF
May 01 2013, 07:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Will

1) Gagner was NOT a great pick.

PPG

Couture - .720

Voracek - .624

Gagner - .623

Pacioretty - .621

Gagner has more raw points because he was gifted huge, prime, sheltered minutes early on. And that doesn't even take into account Shattenkirk and Subban who both would have been a better pick.

2) Eberle is covering his bet but Derek Stepan, who was selected last in the second round is quickly overtaking him. A solid pick but Stepan is the steal of that draft.

3) The Paajarvi pick is almost a "whiff" at this point.

Kulikov, Leddy, Johansson, O'Reilly, Silvferberg, Clifford, Smith and Foligno would have been much better picks and all of them were selected much later than Magnus.

4) Klefbom has yet to play a pro game in North America but I'm thinking he'll have a tough time surpassing Brandon Saad in the foreseeable future.

The Oilers didn't blow the #1 picks too badly but they are hardly killing it with any other picks.

Avatar
#122 Wax Man Riley
May 01 2013, 07:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

The OTHER thing is if you look at Capgeek, Nashville has MORE cap space than Edmonton for next year.

Why do they need to move Weber due to cap space, and why would Edmonton take on that crazy contract.

Nashville has MORE cap space than Edmonton next year.

Avatar
#123 Spydyr
May 01 2013, 07:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Rama Lama wrote:

Whichever team trades for Webber will eventually regret this decision........just how many times do we have to watch this movie?

It seems that whenever a big name signs for a trillion bucks somewhere, their play goes south and the team is now saddled with an untradeable asset. Ask NYR how all their superstars are working out for them?

I would much rather grow our players instead of overpaying for them on the UFA and trade front. Trading for Webber would cost this franchise in so many ways for so long.......right now Souray looks as good a player as Webber. We may already have a mini-WEbber in Klefblom?

" We may already have a mini-WEbber in Klefblom?"

Are you sure a player hurt the last 2 years who has never played a game in the NHL is a Mini-Weber?

I'm not.

Avatar
#124 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
May 01 2013, 07:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Rama Lama wrote:

Whichever team trades for Webber will eventually regret this decision........just how many times do we have to watch this movie?

It seems that whenever a big name signs for a trillion bucks somewhere, their play goes south and the team is now saddled with an untradeable asset. Ask NYR how all their superstars are working out for them?

I would much rather grow our players instead of overpaying for them on the UFA and trade front. Trading for Webber would cost this franchise in so many ways for so long.......right now Souray looks as good a player as Webber. We may already have a mini-WEbber in Klefblom?

Maybe someone should ask Taylor Hall if he wants to wait yet another 3 or 4 yrs for the Schultz,Klefbom and Mirincin types to round into form.

Do you believe we have that much time before the cracks in this new foundation start to show?

Avatar
#125 Spydyr
May 01 2013, 07:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

Maybe someone should ask Taylor Hall if he wants to wait yet another 3 or 4 yrs for the Schultz,Klefbom and Mirincin types to round into form.

Do you believe we have that much time before the cracks in this new foundation start to show?

The cracks started to show summer 2006.

Avatar
#126 Wax Man Riley
May 01 2013, 07:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@DSF

You may be right on those points, but, DSF, you are picking out random players that teams took flyers on (Stepan?). Anybody can do that for ANY team!

Do you ACTUALLY think the teams that took those players have such better scouts? Or did they get lucky?

Horcoff #99. Petry #45. Kyle Brodziak #215. Stoll #36. Greene #44. Every team gets lucky in the latter rounds. You can't use that as conclusive evidence.

Avatar
#127 Spydyr
May 01 2013, 07:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Wax Man Riley wrote:

You may be right on those points, but, DSF, you are picking out random players that teams took flyers on (Stepan?). Anybody can do that for ANY team!

Do you ACTUALLY think the teams that took those players have such better scouts? Or did they get lucky?

Horcoff #99. Petry #45. Kyle Brodziak #215. Stoll #36. Greene #44. Every team gets lucky in the latter rounds. You can't use that as conclusive evidence.

That is why I'm against trading 4th and 5th round picks for journeymen stop gap players.You never know when your going to get lucky.

Avatar
#128 Wax Man Riley
May 01 2013, 07:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
DSF wrote:

1) Gagner was NOT a great pick.

PPG

Couture - .720

Voracek - .624

Gagner - .623

Pacioretty - .621

Gagner has more raw points because he was gifted huge, prime, sheltered minutes early on. And that doesn't even take into account Shattenkirk and Subban who both would have been a better pick.

2) Eberle is covering his bet but Derek Stepan, who was selected last in the second round is quickly overtaking him. A solid pick but Stepan is the steal of that draft.

3) The Paajarvi pick is almost a "whiff" at this point.

Kulikov, Leddy, Johansson, O'Reilly, Silvferberg, Clifford, Smith and Foligno would have been much better picks and all of them were selected much later than Magnus.

4) Klefbom has yet to play a pro game in North America but I'm thinking he'll have a tough time surpassing Brandon Saad in the foreseeable future.

The Oilers didn't blow the #1 picks too badly but they are hardly killing it with any other picks.

In 2005, Montreal chose Kostitsyn 200 overall. 353 games so far. they hit it out of the park with that pick. Do they have amazing scouts? I would say so!!!!!

Or maybe they got lucky and if they chose Bliznak instead, then Vancouver would have had the best scouts because they got Kostitsyn.

Avatar
#129 DSF
May 01 2013, 07:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Wax Man Riley wrote:

In 2005, Montreal chose Kostitsyn 200 overall. 353 games so far. they hit it out of the park with that pick. Do they have amazing scouts? I would say so!!!!!

Or maybe they got lucky and if they chose Bliznak instead, then Vancouver would have had the best scouts because they got Kostitsyn.

Montreal has great scouts.

In the Gagner draft (2007) the Habs got McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban and Jannik Webber.

The Oilers, despite having THREE first round picks, ended up with Gagner, Plante, Nash, Omark and Kytnar.

That's really "unlucky".

The 2009 and 2010 drafts are even more "unlucky".

How is that Mitch Moroz pick looking now?

Avatar
#130 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
May 01 2013, 07:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Wax Man Riley wrote:

And that leaves RNH, Smyth, Lander, and Arcobello down the middle?

That is a winning 'C' lineup if I ever seen one.

Was thinking of moving up a couple spots in the draft, maybe to 4. Does RNH,Weiss,Barkov and Wellwood look better to you? One can't deny Wellwoods numbers at 1/4 the price of Horcoff.

Avatar
#131 Wax Man Riley
May 01 2013, 07:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

Was thinking of moving up a couple spots in the draft, maybe to 4. Does RNH,Weiss,Barkov and Wellwood look better to you? One can't deny Wellwoods numbers at 1/4 the price of Horcoff.

That does look much better, actually.

Avatar
#132 Wax Man Riley
May 01 2013, 07:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
DSF wrote:

Montreal has great scouts.

In the Gagner draft (2007) the Habs got McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban and Jannik Webber.

The Oilers, despite having THREE first round picks, ended up with Gagner, Plante, Nash, Omark and Kytnar.

That's really "unlucky".

The 2009 and 2010 drafts are even more "unlucky".

How is that Mitch Moroz pick looking now?

I am not defending the Oiler's draft. Not at all. Kytnar?? Plante?/ Nash?? WTF Oilers!??!?!

I'm just defending the random player picks to make a point.

Avatar
#133 TigerUnderGlass
May 01 2013, 08:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@DSF

Montreal has great scouts. In the Gagner draft (2007) the Habs got McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban and Jannik Webber. The Oilers, despite having THREE first round picks, ended up with Gagner, Plante, Nash, Omark and Kytnar.

In 2008 they drafted Danny Kristo, Steve Quailer, Jason Missiaen, Maxim Trunev, and Patrick Johnson.

Though I suppose in 2009 they struck gold with Louis Leblanc right?

Avatar
#134 DSF
May 01 2013, 08:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
TigerUnderGlass wrote:
Montreal has great scouts. In the Gagner draft (2007) the Habs got McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban and Jannik Webber. The Oilers, despite having THREE first round picks, ended up with Gagner, Plante, Nash, Omark and Kytnar.

In 2008 they drafted Danny Kristo, Steve Quailer, Jason Missiaen, Maxim Trunev, and Patrick Johnson.

Though I suppose in 2009 they struck gold with Louis Leblanc right?

In the last 6 years, disregarding the 1st overall picks who could have been selected by Maggie the Money, the Oilers have drafted TWO NHL players and one of those players, Paajarvi, would be in the AHL on any good NHL team.

In the same time frame, Montreal has drafted 7 players who are already established NHL players with Tinordi and Beaulieu very close.

That the Habs accomplished that while drafting much lower than the Oilers gives you a pretty good idea about the skill of their amateur scouts.

Good grief...the Oilers had THREE first round picks in 2007 and all of them look like mistakes.

Avatar
#135 genoreda
May 01 2013, 08:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
DSF wrote:

Can the Oilers afford Weber's cap hit and pay the kids?

No.

that's why you put Eberle in the deal.

Eberle, 7th overall, 2014 1st, and 2nds and scraps n such

Avatar
#136 genoreda
May 01 2013, 08:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
DSF wrote:

In the last 6 years, disregarding the 1st overall picks who could have been selected by Maggie the Money, the Oilers have drafted TWO NHL players and one of those players, Paajarvi, would be in the AHL on any good NHL team.

In the same time frame, Montreal has drafted 7 players who are already established NHL players with Tinordi and Beaulieu very close.

That the Habs accomplished that while drafting much lower than the Oilers gives you a pretty good idea about the skill of their amateur scouts.

Good grief...the Oilers had THREE first round picks in 2007 and all of them look like mistakes.

why does this guy go out of his way to troll?

Avatar
#137 djc
May 01 2013, 08:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
4
props
DSF wrote:

When someone makes the claim that the Oilers have drafted well after the 3 first round picks, it's pretty easy to demonstrate that is NOT true.

Their record is actually pretty bad and "random players" prove it pretty clearly.

Do you have anything else in your life besides trying to point out Oiler faults? This article posted at 9AM and you have commented all throughout the day. I didn't bother counting but just noticed i was skipping over your name even more than usual. What exactly are you trying to prove? That you are smarter than everyone? A better scout than anyone the oilers have? That the teams you pick are awesome making you awesome too? Do you want an internet trophy? A gift card to Oodle Noodle? A pat on the head?

I honestly don't know how you have the time to do this all day, every single day on every single oilers article? Do you not have ANYTHING else in your life ... a job ... a family ... friends? Did the Oilers turn you down for a job? Did Gagner bang your girlfriend? Why so much anger? How does an article about Weber even turn into complaining about drafting Gagner 6 years ago?

You can point out all the facts you want and call everyone fanboys, but you really need to get something else in your life besides posting obsessively about a team you don't even like. Katz, Lowe, Mactavish, Gagner, etc don't care what you think and neither do most of the people who log on to the site for 5 minutes a day to catch up on some Oilers news.

If your goal is just to irritate people, well then good job since now I am irritated that I just wasted 5 minutes of my life writing this ...

Avatar
#138 TigerUnderGlass
May 01 2013, 08:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
DSF wrote:

In the last 6 years, disregarding the 1st overall picks who could have been selected by Maggie the Money, the Oilers have drafted TWO NHL players and one of those players, Paajarvi, would be in the AHL on any good NHL team.

In the same time frame, Montreal has drafted 7 players who are already established NHL players with Tinordi and Beaulieu very close.

That the Habs accomplished that while drafting much lower than the Oilers gives you a pretty good idea about the skill of their amateur scouts.

Good grief...the Oilers had THREE first round picks in 2007 and all of them look like mistakes.

So the Oilers have to throw out their first rounder while Montreal gets to keep them?

If you take away their last three first round picks like you want to do for Edmonton you are left with ONLY 2007 picks and Gallagher.

What have the Oilers picked since 2007 if you subtract their last three firsts? MPS, Eberle, Gagner, with Hartikainen and Lander with a shot at becoming regulars and a hndful of Defensemen with a reasonable chance at becoming NHL players.

You want to stack the deck on MTLs favor before comparing, but when you do the comparison fairly there is not much to separate the teams.

Subban was a fantastic find, but other than that I don't see the evidence of a vastly superior scouting group.

Avatar
#139 madjam
May 01 2013, 08:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

I find it ironic that ON has gone from crying to be patient. to lets be like MacT. more jmpatient . Where are those people now ?

Avatar
#140 madjam
May 01 2013, 08:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Oilers are near the top with there scouting to fill their size and future needs , etc.. Forgot where I read it today - maybe Hockey Futures site . Those are still advances over previous 3 years . It's getting better . just graduates are not ready as yet . So scouting is doing an acceptable job considering . and seemingly moving in the right direction .

Avatar
#141 Walter Sobchak
May 01 2013, 08:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Wax Man Riley wrote:

Where is Wes? I'm surprised he isn't here stating his case too.

Oilers need Crosby and Malkin. Some bigger, stronger centers. If they don't get Crosby, Malkin, or both then the Oilers are settling for failure.

I'm starting a campaign. Crosby and Malkin or bust!

Oh, I'm here, just waiting.........for the right time, besides quick is making a case.

Avatar
#142 Walter Sobchak
May 01 2013, 08:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
genoreda wrote:

that's why you put Eberle in the deal.

Eberle, 7th overall, 2014 1st, and 2nds and scraps n such

You can't use this years draft.

Avatar
#143 Johnson
May 01 2013, 08:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
DSF wrote:

Craig Button has his first mock draft out with the Oilers taking Elias Lindholm:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=93427

I still think Oilers will take VALERI NICHUSHKIN if he is available .

He could be the Milan we are looking for

Avatar
#144 Walter Sobchak
May 01 2013, 09:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Johnson wrote:

I still think Oilers will take VALERI NICHUSHKIN if he is available .

He could be the Milan we are looking for

First off Valeri Nichushkin will not be a Lucic, he's going to be far better hockey player with far less aggression.

Although I like the idea of the Oilers draft Nichushkin as he is a elite prospect and a much needed size on the LW.

Trouble is he is sighed to a KHL contract for an additional two years.

He will not be coming over and could fall completely out of the first round.

You would be better off trying to trade for Kuznetsov who also wont be coming over.

Avatar
#145 Johnson
May 01 2013, 09:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Walter Sobchak wrote:

First off Valeri Nichushkin will not be a Lucic, he's going to be far better hockey player with far less aggression.

Although I like the idea of the Oilers draft Nichushkin as he is a elite prospect and a much needed size on the LW.

Trouble is he is sighed to a KHL contract for an additional two years.

He will not be coming over and could fall completely out of the first round.

You would be better off trying to trade for Kuznetsov who also wont be coming over.

He has been listed as a RW LW and Center. I'm sure Oilers will do their due dilly . They have a few Russian connections.

Avatar
#146 Taylor Gang
May 01 2013, 09:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
djc wrote:

Do you have anything else in your life besides trying to point out Oiler faults? This article posted at 9AM and you have commented all throughout the day. I didn't bother counting but just noticed i was skipping over your name even more than usual. What exactly are you trying to prove? That you are smarter than everyone? A better scout than anyone the oilers have? That the teams you pick are awesome making you awesome too? Do you want an internet trophy? A gift card to Oodle Noodle? A pat on the head?

I honestly don't know how you have the time to do this all day, every single day on every single oilers article? Do you not have ANYTHING else in your life ... a job ... a family ... friends? Did the Oilers turn you down for a job? Did Gagner bang your girlfriend? Why so much anger? How does an article about Weber even turn into complaining about drafting Gagner 6 years ago?

You can point out all the facts you want and call everyone fanboys, but you really need to get something else in your life besides posting obsessively about a team you don't even like. Katz, Lowe, Mactavish, Gagner, etc don't care what you think and neither do most of the people who log on to the site for 5 minutes a day to catch up on some Oilers news.

If your goal is just to irritate people, well then good job since now I am irritated that I just wasted 5 minutes of my life writing this ...

BAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMM!

PEANUT BUTTER AND JAAAAAAM!

Avatar
#147 Taylor Gang
May 01 2013, 09:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

My personal favorite player to go for is Keith Yandle. You want to pry a great defenseman from a small franchise? How about one that won't cost the kids?

Gagner + B-level prospect for Yandle, that's my trade

Avatar
#148 Walter Sobchak
May 01 2013, 09:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

As for Weber, here is the issue with the Predators as I see it.

The Predators need to win and make the playoff's to generate any type of support or financial benefits.

They are hemorrhaging money and are being propped up by us already.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120429/NEWS01/304290057/Profit-eludes-Nashville-Predators-despite-ice-success-public-money?nclick_check=1

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nas120814.html

http://www.forbes.com/teams/nashville-predators/

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/22/predators-chairmans-bold-statements-will-be-put-to-the-test/

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/19/agent-weber-doesnt-want-to-go-through-another-rebuilding-process/

So as you can see, the article which was nicely written by Mr. Willis should have said, why it seems just as likely the Predators will be trading Weber.

So the Predators clearly can't keep paying his salary, Mr Weber will not stay around for another rebuild, so whats a team to do?

They have to trade him, which will benefit Predators, a 4 to 1 trade would get the Predator back into the playoffs.

As much as Weber is a beast he's worth more to the Predators as a trade asset in every possible way.

Now I'm not saying he will come to Edmonton but clearly he will benefit the Predators more by being traded.

Avatar
#149 Zev
May 01 2013, 10:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

My guess for the Oilers list

Sean Monahan

Darnell Nurse

Nichushkin

Elias Lindholm

Avatar
#150 oilers101
May 01 2013, 11:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

The oilers are a team with an illness, a team trying to cure that illness,but there does not seem to be any doctors available. So we will have to get us a nurse..... Darnell Nurse that is. :)

Comments are closed for this article.