Hockey Wars: The Blogosphere vs. Mainstream Media

Steve Dangle
August 20 2014 06:52PM

Screen shot 2014-08-20 at 6.11.08 PM

Guy with bad haircut tries to break down the seemingly never-ending war between the hockey blogosphere and the mainstream media.


6b6884e175cda86e6828bab0537236ad
Steve Dangle has a YouTube channel with over 3 million views and is the co-host of the Steve Dangle Podcast on iTunes and SoundCloud. Steve has also worked for CBC, the NHL Network, Leafs TV, Nike, the KHL, and most of all, the Toronto Zoo. stevedangle.com
Avatar
#1 Prash Naikwadi
August 20 2014, 07:40PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
21
props

Well said, Steve!

More conversation and discussion on all things sports is great!

It does bode well for both parties (bloggers and mainstream) to be respectful of each other.

I think in the end, we're all trying to create buzz and debate, and storylines, and just making points about what we believe in.

Collaboration and tolerance and understanding, would be nice to have.

But at the end of the day, people are people. Hopefully cooler heads prevail.

I do applaud your attempt to "bridge" a gap between these two worlds. I think it's the best way to approach this issue. :-)

Avatar
#2 Archaeologuy
August 20 2014, 09:13PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
15
props

I couldn't speak Spanish before I watched this video. Y, ahora, yo hablo español muy bien.

Avatar
#3 Quicksilver ballet
August 20 2014, 09:45PM
Trash it!
14
trashes
Props
26
props

Is it true Jim Matheson went to Jesus Christ's bar mitzvah?

Avatar
#4 Rocket
August 20 2014, 09:56PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
5
props

@ Dangle

So how did you like The Hangover 3?

Avatar
#5 corsi and other stupid analytics hating guy that watches hockey person
August 20 2014, 10:02PM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Props
31
props

pffhhh. Shut up steve. Watch the game for once instead of pulling up your calculator or other stupid analytics crap you bloggers pull up. The game isn't about corsi or analytics and you can't win games with analytics. Obviously you need INTANGIBLES, do I need to spell it out. DUUUHHH!! You need grit and leadership and truculence and ummmmm errrr grit to win games. Analytics are for people who dont watch the game obviously!! Leadership and good mimico boys is what this team is lacking, not more focus on possesion. So instead of the leafs signing very smart and qualified analytics expert, they should trade nazem kadri and jake gardiner for david bolland.

GOOD MIMICOS BOYS!!!!!!!

Avatar
#6 OiledStatGuy
August 20 2014, 10:04PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Props
1
props

Maybe Eakins words that analytics aren't be all and end all help bridge gap.

Can someone help me though. What is an example of observation from advanced analytics that Eakins and team will ignore?

Context, we had coaches in past playing a goalie against a team based on record even though opposing team has massive player turnover. Now ...

Avatar
#7 Don W
August 20 2014, 10:06PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Props
6
props
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Is it true Jim Matheson went to Jesus Christ's bar mitzvah?

I wish I could give you more than one prop for that one.

Avatar
#8 Hayek
August 20 2014, 10:10PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Props
12
props

I think it's interesting how it's so easy to criticize a blogger that is doing a poor job since they generally attempt to do more than report quotes from a game. Yet for members of mainstream media that do a poor job (eg. Mark Spector) they can just attempt to defend themselves saying it's just their persona.

I believe most of mainstream media fall into 2 classes: journalists and reporters. Reporters do nothing else than get quotes and write short quips about a game. Journalists ask questions, and find answers.

It's interesting looking at msm and blogosphere alike, and seeing who is a journalist, and who is a reporter.

Avatar
#10 Neil B
August 20 2014, 10:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
10
props

I don't know, Steve, I'd have to disagree with you on a couple points.

1. It wasn't the quality of your insight that got me watching. It was your good humour when you were a guest-mod on the old CBC live chat. After watching a few of your videos, I did get curious about some of the fancy stats stuff you sometimes mentioned, and started looking into it. And then some more. Because my brain is fascinated by small, shiny objects, and fancy stats are small shinny objects. (See what I did there?)

And now my wife hates you.

2. That's not a really bad haircut. if your head wasn't roughly symmetrical, or had big, visible scars, it might be bad. But on you, it's not bad.

Avatar
#11 Serious Gord
August 20 2014, 10:33PM
Trash it!
17
trashes
Props
5
props

@Quicksilver ballet

Bar mitzvah? Hell, he performed the bris.

Avatar
#12 Shredder
August 20 2014, 11:01PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
5
props

Awesome video!!! One perspective to consider though is that all the opinions here and in mainstream or of the bloggers don't really matter...we're arguing over what a consensus opinion is of what is going on in the hockey world...what matters is the actual playing of the game...which we have no impact on at all...except in EA sports NHL. Awesome video though.

Avatar
#13 knee deep in it
August 20 2014, 11:03PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
9
props

Excellent video.

I can see why some MSM are threatened by young bloggers but it will force them to improve their work. If they don't , these kids will take their jobs.

Avatar
#15 Harry
August 21 2014, 01:30AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
8
props

"When anyone scored we all felt like we all scored. We were such an unselfish group."

The Great One

The current Oilers need this lesson more than a 2C or a #1 Dman. The tallent is there to suprise people

Avatar
#16 nonikhanna
August 21 2014, 02:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
11
props

You haircut is distracting me from the video...

Avatar
#17 They're $hittie
August 21 2014, 06:18AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
8
props

With all do respect to the journalists that write for this site, it is more the newspaper writers than the mainstream media as a whole that are involved in the war.

Disclaimer *I do not make these statements about the ones for this site as I do not believe these statements are reflective of them. I am not an analytics advocate, but see value in making use of them as a tool.

Their medium is dwindling and maybe even dying. This is causing fear in them and their inability to adapt to changing times is what creates their close mindedness. They see the new age of blogging as a slap in the face to the profession that they have worked at for years. They are feeling slighted that amateur writers with some math skills are being hired for jobs within organizations they could only dream of. We could all feel the same way too if we were in similar positions.

However, these are suppose to be professionals, representing professional companies. Yes even the Sun is a professional company though there writing is that of a grade 4 level. So in their own fear and close mindedness, these writers that are taking an offensive on the analytic community are looking like pompous a$$es. Their inability to change is also reflective in their views of hockey and to accept the way in which the NHL is going and further trying to move to. In that I mean no more Brian Burke Hockey.

To each their own, but as a professional please try to represent your company as well as your self. Your one sides views, and not being open minded only will only contribute to your mediums eventual death.

Thanks you to all the Journalist that write for this site. Your articles are appreciated and are a great contribution to the discussion of hockey in our city.

As for the other ones I am talking about (Steve S and company) do some research and form opinions with something to back them up, present them in a well stated case, other than spurting your mouth off on twitter!

Wow. Needed to say that.

Avatar
#18 BrewGuy
August 21 2014, 06:28AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
10
props

Great video, some really good points.

Question: What role do you think journalistic credentials play in this whole thing? By that, I mean the guys and gals who work in 'mainstream' are (probably) holders of journalistic degrees of some sort - at least, that is the assumption most people will make. Now, A lot of bloggers have excellent credentials and journalism degrees as well, but as you said in your video, the initial assumption is that they don't. In essence, this sets up a scenario where the blogger has to prove themselves to the audience, while the 'mainstreamer' does not.

Now, this isn't to say a person without a journalism degree can't write great things - of course they can, and they have on countless occasions. I'd also imagine that a degree in journalism nowadays is a very different beast from a degree from, say, 20 years ago. I'm just wondering where those credentials fit into this discussion. I also wonder if this is a point of contention for the folks working for big media outlets - perhaps their initial assumption is that bloggers have no journalistic credentials, even though some do, and even if they don't, they're writing great stuff anyway.

I don't really know what the answer to this is, but wanted to put the thought out there.

Avatar
#19 Henry
August 21 2014, 06:33AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
1
props

Wow. I woke up this morning and acquired a new hero. Nice piece Mr. Dangle.

Avatar
#20 Shredder
August 21 2014, 07:05AM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Props
4
props

I love that kid above with the really bad haircut, he is so cute I would eat the corn kernals from his poo.

Avatar
#21 Gumby
August 21 2014, 07:14AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
2
props

@Steve Dangle

I think you hit the "mainstream" initial reaction right on the head, not many bloggers presented their ideas in a respectful way. That's probably where the initial anger towards it came from. It felt like more of an attack than "hey look at this new information" .

Only other thing, I'd consider myself "mainstream" or whatever, even though I read a lot about analytics I'm not by any means part of the movement. And I'm probably the same age as you

Avatar
#22 Gumby
August 21 2014, 07:15AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
3
props
Steve Dangle wrote:

Tell your wife I'm sorry.

Phrasing.

Avatar
#23 Zarny
August 21 2014, 08:59AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
23
props

There is a war between bloggers and MSM?

Hmmm...didn't notice. Probably because I don't care.

Avatar
#24 CMpuck
August 21 2014, 09:49AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
1
props

Enough of these, Jeffler was block by Bozak on twitter (who cares?), blogger flame wars....

Lieweke may be leaving the Leafs, maybe that's news worthy?

Avatar
#25 Spydyr
August 21 2014, 09:59AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
19
props

"Holy crap do we need the games to start."

Best line in the whole video.

Avatar
#26 oil4life
August 21 2014, 10:20AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
0
props

Burn baby burn... yeah

Avatar
#27 Renaud
August 21 2014, 10:53AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
0
props

You're awesome.

Signed by an avid EOTP fan.

Avatar
#28 Oiler Al
August 21 2014, 11:44AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
2
props
Serious Gord wrote:

Bar mitzvah? Hell, he performed the bris.

Heck, I think he turned the water to wine.!

Avatar
#29 Oiler Al
August 21 2014, 12:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props

Dangle, I think there is career there for you in Stand Up Comedy!

Avatar
#30 A-Mc
August 21 2014, 12:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

As with all things: Some people are good at their job, some people aren't and some of them may have been good at one point in the past but are now riding that wave to retirement or death.

The best people get the most attention. Good work is good work.

Avatar
#31 A-Mc
August 21 2014, 12:11PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
0
props
Oiler Al wrote:

Dangle, I think there is career there for you in Stand Up Comedy!

That 8 minute clip probably took 273 micro takes. Its a tough gig to deliver something like that all at once, on stage.. in front of thousands!

Avatar
#32 Gumby
August 21 2014, 12:11PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
3
props
Shredder wrote:

I love that kid above with the really bad haircut, he is so cute I would eat the corn kernals from his poo.

I agree Totally-Amundo!!

Avatar
#33 Gumby
August 21 2014, 12:12PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props

Shredder is right, that kid drives me wild.

Avatar
#34 Oiler Al
August 21 2014, 12:15PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
7
props

These Analytics are annoying, Take away the "Y" and you got Anal Tics, which is probably why the Leafs have been scratching their arses for 47 years.

Avatar
#35 Renaud
August 21 2014, 12:35PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Props
1
props
A-Mc wrote:

That 8 minute clip probably took 273 micro takes. Its a tough gig to deliver something like that all at once, on stage.. in front of thousands!

Grow up and go cheer the Habs.

Avatar
#36 Pucker
August 21 2014, 12:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

The season can't start too soon.

Avatar
#37 A-Mc
August 21 2014, 12:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Renaud wrote:

Grow up and go cheer the Habs.

haha, I'm sorry if you take offense to me stating the likely truth. While 273 takes is an exaggeration, its worth a chuckle for those of us who have tried to make videos like this.

Its not easy delivering a message as quickly as is done in the video; it would be infinitely harder to do so on stage, in 1 shot, infront of thousands.

There's no dig here on Steve's work. The video was great.

Avatar
#38 Gumby
August 21 2014, 01:33PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
2
props

@Gumby

I know you want to be the real Gumby, but you just can't.

I'm Blue.

Da Ba De Da Ba Di.....

Avatar
#39 Gumby
August 21 2014, 01:34PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
4
props

@A-Mc

Don't fall in the idiot troll's traps, sir.

Avatar
#40 leafdreamer
August 21 2014, 01:52PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
0
props
Harry wrote:

"When anyone scored we all felt like we all scored. We were such an unselfish group."

The Great One

The current Oilers need this lesson more than a 2C or a #1 Dman. The tallent is there to suprise people

So do the current Maple Leafs. Imagine where we'd be if Grabo, McArthur, Gardiner, Reimer, Kadri etc. were willing to play their role and put the team first.

Avatar
#41 Oiler Al
August 21 2014, 02:10PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
0
props
Oiler Al wrote:

These Analytics are annoying, Take away the "Y" and you got Anal Tics, which is probably why the Leafs have been scratching their arses for 47 years.

Just for the record, I am the real Oiler Al. The post @ #34 is not my post.

Even though it was kinda of a funny line.

Avatar
#42 backup bob
August 21 2014, 03:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Oiler Al wrote:

These Analytics are annoying, Take away the "Y" and you got Anal Tics, which is probably why the Leafs have been scratching their arses for 47 years.

? ? ?

Avatar
#43 TigerUnderGlass
August 21 2014, 03:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
leafdreamer wrote:

So do the current Maple Leafs. Imagine where we'd be if Grabo, McArthur, Gardiner, Reimer, Kadri etc. were willing to play their role and put the team first.

What?

Avatar
#44 TigerUnderGlass
August 21 2014, 03:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
A-Mc wrote:

That 8 minute clip probably took 273 micro takes. Its a tough gig to deliver something like that all at once, on stage.. in front of thousands!

I love the implication that most stand-up comedians perform in front of thousands.

Avatar
#45 leafdreamer
August 21 2014, 05:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props
Gumby wrote:

I know you want to be the real Gumby, but you just can't.

I'm Blue.

Da Ba De Da Ba Di.....

Sing it stud muffin.

Avatar
#46 Oiler Al
August 21 2014, 05:30PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props
Oiler Al wrote:

Just for the record, I am the real Oiler Al. The post @ #34 is not my post.

Even though it was kinda of a funny line.

Er, I think!!

Avatar
#47 frty
August 22 2014, 12:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
They're $hittie wrote:

With all do respect to the journalists that write for this site, it is more the newspaper writers than the mainstream media as a whole that are involved in the war.

Disclaimer *I do not make these statements about the ones for this site as I do not believe these statements are reflective of them. I am not an analytics advocate, but see value in making use of them as a tool.

Their medium is dwindling and maybe even dying. This is causing fear in them and their inability to adapt to changing times is what creates their close mindedness. They see the new age of blogging as a slap in the face to the profession that they have worked at for years. They are feeling slighted that amateur writers with some math skills are being hired for jobs within organizations they could only dream of. We could all feel the same way too if we were in similar positions.

However, these are suppose to be professionals, representing professional companies. Yes even the Sun is a professional company though there writing is that of a grade 4 level. So in their own fear and close mindedness, these writers that are taking an offensive on the analytic community are looking like pompous a$$es. Their inability to change is also reflective in their views of hockey and to accept the way in which the NHL is going and further trying to move to. In that I mean no more Brian Burke Hockey.

To each their own, but as a professional please try to represent your company as well as your self. Your one sides views, and not being open minded only will only contribute to your mediums eventual death.

Thanks you to all the Journalist that write for this site. Your articles are appreciated and are a great contribution to the discussion of hockey in our city.

As for the other ones I am talking about (Steve S and company) do some research and form opinions with something to back them up, present them in a well stated case, other than spurting your mouth off on twitter!

Wow. Needed to say that.

i agree but you dont have to slam the sun

Avatar
#48 theterminathan
August 22 2014, 02:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Steve said it best in the podcast when initially the advanced stats community like "hey look at what we're trying to do, let us teach you" into a bunch of hastiness, due to the backlash received.

Advanced stats IMO are basically statistical measures that show why a hockey player or team is doing good where the "Eye Test" before could see it, but not explain it.

Avatar
#49 Smokey
August 22 2014, 04:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I enjoyed the video. I've followed the media verses basement dwellers for some time.

I'm 39, kinda internet savy but old enough to still remember the smell of a newspaper.

The disdain by some media is they paid their dues. They paid their tuition for journalism college, scrubbed the jon at TSN and now are is in their dream gig. Then some greasy dude in their basement is got more followers on twitter then them and making a living.

There are dinasaurs who believe their name means they came spew out an article and expect the majority to read it. We are seeing that in all aspects of journalism or media. The world is turning off MSM, cause the old way is not how people see the world. The Young Turks are a classic example and now are followed by more people then MSNBC. CNN is dying cause they are not giving people perspective worth listening too. The recognizable media stars of younger people are from youtube not hollywood. The same thing with Sports, there is a new way to approach a topic, and MSM is not dictating the direction but is actually behind the curve.

The reason as I see it is bloggers are real, transparent, almost seem tangible. The seem like the guy next door, probably because he is the guy next door in the basement. Their work is better because they can't rely on their name, they have earned a following through writing content and exposing people to new ideas.

MSM is stealing from the bloggers, because they are being tuned out in droves. Pierre McGuire is the classic example of a guy no one can figure out has a job.

Anyways I am coming to end, because this blurb is totally directionless. How is it the PJ stock is still employed by CBC and you aren't?

Avatar
#50 captainboxmaker
August 22 2014, 04:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

glad to see cam get his due. yours and his work during the lock out together was life saving and a good look to the KHL

Comments are closed for this article.