Saturday Seven: All-Star Weekend

Curtis LeBlanc
January 28 2017 01:25PM

It's the NHL All-Star weekend in Los Angeles, California, which means all of us are forced to stop watching real hockey for three days while the league indulges itself with another profit-fuelled pageant.

But it's for the fans, really.

Karmanos Open to Selling the 'Canes

This just in from NHL insider Pierre LeBrun:

While it seems like nothing is immediately imminent on this front, the league absolutely needs more Canadian teams. Bring back the Nordiques!

NHL Releases Top 100 Players of All Time, Fails

The league unveiled the remaining 67 players on its list of the hundred best-ever yesterday in Los Angeles, which included six active NHLers. Can anybody guess who those six players were? Anyone?

You read that right. Three current Blackhawks made the list: a defenceman with two fewer sixty-point seasons than Erik Karlsson (who is seven years his younger), a passable top-line centreman, and a verified scumbag. I'll let you work out who's who.

The inclusion of these three Hawks meant the snubbing of several more deserving active players, including Evgeni Malkin, Jarome Iginla, Joe Thornton...the list goes on.

Bieber to Play in Celebrity Shootout

I personally can't wait to watch the Biebs lace 'em up for Team Lemieux in this afternoon's celebrity game.

If we're lucky, he'll plaster Patrick Kane, who is—confusingly—also playing in the game. I wrote at length on this topic a few weeks ago, but for the league to have the only active player in this publicity stunt to be Patrick Kane—he of the cabbie-punching, sordid past—is troubling to me.

Dear NHL: stop promoting individuals who can't conduct themselves with respect and integrity off the ice or I will quit your game and watch Bob Ross paint until I die.

Brad Marchand Fined $10,000

Brad Marchand was fined the maximum amount allowed under the current CBA—but evaded suspension—after a blatant slew foot on the Red Wings Niklas Kronwall.

That's about as obvious as it gets when it comes to intent to injure, so why isn't the league taking this opportunity to make an example of this player, who is also a repeat offender?

Might it have something to do with the fact that he leads the Bruins in all offensive categories?

Matthew Tkachuk Also Proves Slippery in Face of Possible Suspension

Flames rookie and Calder candidate Matthew Tkachuk has already established a reputation for slew footing in his short-lived NHL career.

In his recent game against the Leafs, the budding star took down Martin Marincin a-la-Marchand in front of the Toronto net. He evaded supplemental discipline.

This comes after his slew foot on the Oilers' Brandon Davidson in early October, which led to the Edmonton defender missing 30 games.

What is going on, NHL Player Safety?

Patrick Marleau Scores Four Goals in One Period

But of course, he doesn't belong on the top 100 players of all-time.

Bonus: Gene Principe

The Oilers played on inauguration day and that meant Sportsnet "pun-dit" Gene Principe had a golden opportunity to wear his favourite mask.

1796c9f398760c12407c778ead8b0869
Curtis LeBlanc is a writer, poet and hockey person living on the west coast. You can follow him on Twitter @curtiswleblanc and check out his website at www.cwleblanc.com.
#1 Wolf Cola
January 28 2017, 01:48PM

#draisaitl4ladybyng

#2 OilBlood
January 28 2017, 02:02PM

Really don't get the hatred of the hawks. Are you some die hoard knuckle head?

Passable centre? How do you write on this site?

And Kane is a verified scumbag? Why because some gold digger thought she had an opportunity to make a quick buck? Lol

#3 Jordan McNugent-Hallkins
January 28 2017, 02:10PM

I'd love to see Maroon, Kassian, Looch or Nurse teach Tkachuk some manners, but I doubt he's got the stones to answer the bell for any of those four.

#4 Wanyes bastard child
January 28 2017, 02:44PM
Jordan McNugent-Hallkins wrote:

For all those that say "yeah but you'd want him on your team" ... I'd be ashamed to have a piece of $#!t like that on my team.

#5 Randaman
January 28 2017, 02:59PM
Wanyes bastard child wrote:

Ya, a lot of us said that when Kassian was coming on board too, right? RIGHT??

#6 McDavid's Comet
January 28 2017, 03:26PM
Wanyes bastard child wrote:

We were saying that exact quote about Kass. when he destroyed Gagner's face. Edit: I didn't read all the posts, Randaman beat me to it. Clearly I agree

#7 McDavid's Comet
January 28 2017, 03:32PM
OilBlood wrote:

Really don't get the hatred of the hawks. Are you some die hoard knuckle head?

Passable centre? How do you write on this site?

There is always two sides of the story, we only know what we are told. Unless you have more insight to what truly happened.

#8 Wanyes bastard child
January 28 2017, 04:05PM

@Randaman

Kassian was given a "one and done" coming in and hasn't done anything stupid like that since playing for us. He knew and we knew the stakes. Tkachuk keeps running around unchecked.

#9 Yeach
January 28 2017, 04:24PM

McDavid is playing in the celebrity shoot-out game. Team Gretztky is stacked with McDavid and Kane and um.. Justin Bieber.

(First post, long-time reader.)

#10 Oilerz4life
January 28 2017, 04:25PM

Cheesy all star 3 on 3 tourny, yippee?!

#11 I'm too tall for this @#$%
January 28 2017, 04:32PM

@Randaman

I didn't get on the Kassian band wagon until he showed that he wasn't the same player he was during his Canucks days. He's still plenty physical, but he seems a bit more focused on trying to help his team win compared to hitting everything everywhere and slashing people in the face.

Tkachuk is pretty bad right now as a rookie, so it really is extra important the league sort him out before it becomes a career long style of play. No need to group him with the Marchands and Gallaghers of the league quite yet though...

#12 Randaman
January 28 2017, 04:36PM
I'm too tall for this @#$% wrote:

He'll get his sooner than later. It will happen, I would expect when they have to play Anaheim, L.A. Or San Jose near the end of the year. I hope I'm right.

#13 Wolf Cola
January 28 2017, 04:48PM

this absolutely brutal display of a celbrity game is for the fans?

why is mcdavid in it and what is he suppose to do. Play with out skates to make it fair. or actually try and light everyone up.

#draisaitl4ladybyng

#14 McDavid's Comet
January 28 2017, 05:30PM
I'm too tall for this @#$% wrote:

I too was trepidatious when we signed Kass., he has proven that he is great player and is staying clean and sober. On the other hand Tkachuk is very young and needs to learn some important lessons, his purposefully dirty play will get him in some real hot-water. Hopefully for his and others sake he cleans up his BS.

There nothing wrong with being a skilled agitator but he has to learn that the people he hurts are people too, not just opponents or adversaries; they are not expendible because of the moment.

#15 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
January 28 2017, 11:17PM

Holy crap. When did Bill Needle start blogging about hockey?

#16 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
January 28 2017, 11:20PM
McDavid's Comet wrote:

Which is why the hatred is so strange. If we don't know what happened, perhaps we should leave off talking about people's "sordid past."

From the Book of Wayne 6:14--Let he who is without a minor infractions fire the first puck.

#17 FISTO Siltanen
January 29 2017, 09:01AM
Wanyes bastard child wrote:

I'm ashamed to have that sh!tbag in the league.